Admissions now Open
for the 2016-17 Post Graduate Programme
“Sustainable Management of Natural Resources & Nature Conservation”
The program is designed to impart theoretical concepts as well as help participants gain field experience through camps and field work. Lectures are conducted by researchers, scientists, practitioners and academicians who are experts in their subjects. Various guest lectures by national and international experts are arranged too. The library offers a unique collection of books, journals, periodicals on ecology and environment which enhance the learning experience.
- Setting the Historical Perspective: Evolution of earth, life, man, and man-nature relationship, Agriculture, Irrigation.
- Study of Major Ecosystems: Ecology, Biodiversity, Mountains, Tropical Forests, Grasslands, Marine, River, and Wetland ecosystems.
- Management of Ecosystems and Principles of Restoration: Natural Resource Management, Restoration Theory and Practice, Ecological Approach to Landscape Planning.
- Understanding Sustainable Development: Modern Economy, Energy Use, Globalization, Current Challenges, Environmental Economics, Nature’s Services, Sustainable Development, Holistic Approach and Lifestyle Changes, Green Careers and Entrepreneurship.
Field visits during the Program:
- Mountain Ecosystem Himalaya – 7 day camp
- Grassland Ecosystem – 2 day camp
- Coastal Ecosystem – 3 day camp
- Forest Ecosystem & River Ecology – 1 day field visit
- Wetland and pond ecosystem – 1 day field visit
Eligibility: Graduate in any faculty
Course Duration: One year (July to April)
Days: Saturday Timing: 3:00 pm to 8:00 pm. Practicals on some Sundays, between 7:00 am to 10:00 am.
Full time candidates Rs. 27,000 excluding any expenses incurred during Field camps or field trips. To be paid in two equal installments by 1st July and 1st December. Either cheque/DD or electronics transfer.
Discounts – 10% discount if full fees are paid by 1st July.
– 20% discount for currently enrolled students of any University post-graduation program.
Correspondence course: Rs. 6,000.
The Course Structure includes indoor lectures, field camps, practicals and assignments.
For more details please EMAIL Us
CALL – Mr. Sapatnekar – 94220 59614 ; Shilpa – 98224 12274; Oikos office – 2545 1875
While this course is not designed from an employement perspective, numerous alumni have been working successfully in environment ventures or related jobs. Some students have ventured into environmental entrepreneurship. In our faculty are entrepreneurship teachers and mentors who have been active at the national level – they can guide new ventures.
There is a significant rise in government and corporate sector jobs in Social Responsibility and Sustainable Development as also in non-governmental organizations (NGOs). The UGC has made environmental science a compulsory subject from primary to college level & that too for all disciplines; which generates the need of thousands of Green Teachers for schools & colleges. This Course fulfils this need. The students who pass this course will fulfil the provisions of Biodiversity Act recently passed by the Parliament.
Government sector in India: HRD Ministry, Ministry of Environment & Forests, Schools, Colleges, Universities
Informal Sector / Self employment: NGOs, Member of an Environmental Impact Assessment Team, Consultancy for eco-friendly solutions, Ecological Services to private land developers.
International & National Forum: Various surveys at state & national level are carried out to assess environmental damage, there one needs an ecologist where our students can be useful.
Besides all traditional fields, one has to think differently because we are living in a tropical climate, so one can think of different norms, ways and means of development. This course provides insight to challenges before India, particularly rural India and it provides alternatives to present world of economic development, keeping nature healthy for our future generations.